Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

"Carnival"

Well, from what it sounds like, most everybody wants hear about how Carnival went, and is still going. Yep it is 4 to 5 days of straight partying and it is literally right next to our house in the center of Viçosa. To be quite honest with you it hasn´t been that bad for us because it has been raining a lot here the past two days so it has kinda bummed the people down a bit. But they still have no problem playing the same song over and over again until three in the morning... That is the hard part .... just getting some sleep. The work is also really hard because practically everyone, if they are not at the main party in the center, are having their own mini parties in the streets by their houses. So legit, more than half of Viçosa is just drunk for these four to five days and it is really hard too keep the Spirit with that stuff around. 


And when there are little kids who want to throw eggs at you... That makes it pretty tough as well. Luckily we haven´t been hit yet, but one kid got pretty close to getting my comp. We have mostly just been passing by members and LAs since Friday and have still been doing some good work there. But another thing about Carnival is the Church, being rad, sends all the youth to a camp out away from all the craziness. And it sounds like it is an awesome time for them but it also seriously drops the numbers at church because pretty much everyone goes. Yesterday we only had myself and Elder Shokes with the Priesthood so we had to direct Sacrament, bless and pass, and give talks! Yep two in a row for me hahaha. It was a neat thing though cause we got to see what it is like being a real leader of a branch.
  

We still had a pretty solid week though here. I just have two things that really stuck out to me about this week. One was we had a really awesome lesson with this lady named Monica and her family. What made it awesome though is it really felt like we were really teaching her, not just talking to her about our church. There really isn´t a good way to put this, but the intelligence level here in Viçosa isn´t the highest, so we haven´t been able to really use the scriptures in our teaching. But that is what made our lesson with her so awesome; we were diving into scripture and having actually discussions on doctrine. Ah it was so nice! I really think we helped explain some things to her but because of Carnival we haven´t been able to see her since... Bummer.
  

The other thing great about this week was once again with the scriptures. Scriptures are the best. If you want to learn how Heavenly Father thinks and feels, read the scripts. But I just had a really sweet study of 2 Nephi 31 early this week. I love that chapter because it is all about the Doctrine of Christ. There are so many powerful things in there it is amazing. I don´t really have time to go into super details but I just love the last verse. It explains so simply that the doctrine of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, and continuing with faith forever is THE doctrine of Christ and it is only through Him that we can gain salvation. I dunno, it was just super powerful to me.
  

That pretty much sums my week up. We also had transfers this week but we are both staying here so that is nothing too exciting. Sounds like things are going solid at home. 8 inches of snows sounds like a blessing for sure. Danger, I am here in the LAN house laughing because I think this is the first time in my life I have ever missed shoveling snow but right now it sounds so nice.... Hahaha. Mom, things that would be sweet in a package would be deodorant again... because last time you sent gel DO and I use dry..... Sorry :/ And I also have a lot of other books I would love to read, one being Mormon Doctrine, but I think that might be a little too big to send. I am spacing on the name of the other book I want right now, I think it is "The House of the Lord" by Talmage but I am not sure. I dunno just any books you think I would like would be awesome. Oh also! The little white cord for my Ipod would be great cause I want to start downloading talks from General Conference. But really that is about it. I hope you all have another great week and just take it easy. Play some Halo, go snowboarding, or to a dance party for me k? :p That would be rad! Love you!!! :)

Elder Big Deal

No comments:

Post a Comment